2020's Word of the Year

2020 word of the year- Release
Release control of what I can't control. Release worry. Release fear. Release...

Monday, January 20

Scones

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I make scones almost every day. Scones create a lot of discussion in the food world, from the way the word is pronounced or what shape they take or even what constitutes a scone.
Strawberry

To us Americans the easiest way to describe a scone is a baking powder biscuit with a little bit of sugar in it. Most people add some kind of fruit. When we lived in England I had scones for the first time at cute little cafe in Mildenhall. They were plain scones served with strawberry jam and whipped cream. I was in heaven!! Now traditionally they use clotted cream, but as a yank, I loved having the thick whip cream.
Lavender

I tried making scones a few times but they were never quite right until I found a recipe in a kids magazine that was the perfect recipe.  I've been making them ever since! I put all different kinds of things in this recipe. In the last month I've made chocolate chip scones, eggnog scones, cranberry orange scones, salted caramel scones, maple nut scones, candied ginger scones, cinnamon scones, chai scones, strawberry scones, apricot walnut scones, apple cinnamon scones, raspberry chocolate scones, lavender scones...well, you get the idea. Basically you can put just about anything in a scone. We've even done bacon and cheddar cheese scones. The key to remember is that if you use some very moist you need to adjust your liquid mixture.
Double Chocolate


Here is my basic recipe:
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
3 T sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
Mix thoroughly and add 4-6 oz of cold, diced butter. Use a pastry blender or fork to work it in the dry ingredients. Add 4-6 tablespoons half and half. Shape into your desired shape and bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

Depending on what flavors I use, if I think the scones may be a bit dry sometimes I add a quick powder sugar glaze on top. If I use fresh fruit that may be a bit wet I might sprinkle powder sugar or cinnamon sugar.
Birthday Cake


If you make scones and they don't turn out the first time, don't give up. Scones are kind of like pie crust, the more you make it the more familiar you are with how the dough should feel, how they should look while they bake, etc. If you make this recipe send me an email or post on here and let me know how they turned out. I would love to hear!

Happy Scone Making!

No comments: