2020's Word of the Year

2020 word of the year- Release
Release control of what I can't control. Release worry. Release fear. Release...

Wednesday, September 28

Teaching My Kids to Listen to Current Events

One of the things that I notice in our younger generation is that they don't seem to have a clue about what is going on in the world around them. I was remembering how we used to read the Weekly Readers in school and wondered if I could find something similar. I found something better! CNN has a daily broadcast of student news. It's about 10 minutes long and they keep it fresh and interesting for middle and high school age children. It is hosted by Carl Azuz, who is witty and interesting. Even my 11 year old son with special needs will watch the whole thing. ( I don't know how much he gets from it, but it is getting him interested in life outside our home.)
Anyway, back to the broadcast. You can find it at  CNN StudentNEWS. And yes, for my conservative friends I know that it is CNN. But the news is interesting and what I have watched is pretty straight forward reporting without bias either way. I wish we could find more of that! The program has given us something to talk about over the supper table and my 12 year old is learning to pay attention more to what is going on in the world. And that was the whole point of the exercise. So far this has been one of the best additions to our school year. I hope you find it helpful too.

No comments: