2020's Word of the Year

2020 word of the year- Release
Release control of what I can't control. Release worry. Release fear. Release...

Friday, November 6

Book Review- Evil Obsession

The Bible says that the love of money is the root of all evil. Anne Cook would have been a perfect example of how greed can make you evil. She did despicable things all to gain a few more dollars with the goal of someday buying a coveted piece of land including making a prostitute of her daughter when she was 13 and abusing family and poor people to the point of death.
This book made me sick to think that one person could be so evil but even more I was saddened to see how many people in her life looked the other way when they suspected or knew what was going on. I was astonished that her husband was so weak. I kept wondering how different life might have turned out for them and their family if he would have been more of a leader in his family. I wept for the people in her family who were abused and not one person stepped up to help them.

For me this book was impossible to put down. I felt haunted by it, thinking that this woman was no different than the Nazis. But I was also extremely convicted. When I see evil or the potential of evil, do I step up? Or do I look the other way and hope someone else does the right thing?

No comments: