2017's Word of the Year

2017 word of the year- Enjoy- I will strive to relax and enjoy life more in 2017. My goal is not to get stressed about little details but to enjoy the things that God has given me, big and small.

Thursday, July 15

"Excuse ME?"

I try to be easy going about things, and most of the time I manage to be. But there are things about life that can get me down...my hair is one of them. I started getting gray hair really early...12 to be exact. By the time I was a senior in high school the boys would sit behind me and pull out all the grays. I colored my hair most of my twenties and into my thirties, but it got to be a full time occupation. You see gray hair is very strong and doesn't hold color as well as darker hair. I have used permanent haircolor only to have it wash away within a week. I could go to a salon once a month and have it done, but I'm not sure it's worth the cost of a week's groceries just to fit in with my peers. So I have decided to accept my gray hair...and to be honest it's more silver and is quite attractive...or would be if I was 65 and not 47. And most days I can go through life forgetting that my hair is "old", until someone mentions it. And that's where my day goes completely sideways.
Yesterday I took my little boys to the grocery store. I was checking out and the checker said, "oh wait! I forgot to give you your senior discount!" I just stared at her. I was stunned...yes my hair is gray but do I really look like a senior citizen???  I know I should have told her I wasn't a senior and not to give me the discount. But at that moment I was just really hurt. I could have started crying right there, and I almost did. I know it's rather vain, but doggone it, that was insulting!
So here I sit with wounded pride wondering the eternal question: "to dye or not to dye." (sigh)

My daughter gave me this plaque for my birthday. Bless her for trying to cheer me up.

No comments: