2020's Word of the Year

2020 word of the year- Release
Release control of what I can't control. Release worry. Release fear. Release...

Thursday, July 15

"Excuse ME?"

I try to be easy going about things, and most of the time I manage to be. But there are things about life that can get me down...my hair is one of them. I started getting gray hair really early...12 to be exact. By the time I was a senior in high school the boys would sit behind me and pull out all the grays. I colored my hair most of my twenties and into my thirties, but it got to be a full time occupation. You see gray hair is very strong and doesn't hold color as well as darker hair. I have used permanent haircolor only to have it wash away within a week. I could go to a salon once a month and have it done, but I'm not sure it's worth the cost of a week's groceries just to fit in with my peers. So I have decided to accept my gray hair...and to be honest it's more silver and is quite attractive...or would be if I was 65 and not 47. And most days I can go through life forgetting that my hair is "old", until someone mentions it. And that's where my day goes completely sideways.
Yesterday I took my little boys to the grocery store. I was checking out and the checker said, "oh wait! I forgot to give you your senior discount!" I just stared at her. I was stunned...yes my hair is gray but do I really look like a senior citizen???  I know I should have told her I wasn't a senior and not to give me the discount. But at that moment I was just really hurt. I could have started crying right there, and I almost did. I know it's rather vain, but doggone it, that was insulting!
So here I sit with wounded pride wondering the eternal question: "to dye or not to dye." (sigh)

My daughter gave me this plaque for my birthday. Bless her for trying to cheer me up.

No comments: