2020's Word of the Year

2020 word of the year- Release
Release control of what I can't control. Release worry. Release fear. Release...

Wednesday, November 24

Getting Ready for Thanksgiving: the pie edition

I usually make pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving and then my second daughter will bring another type of pie or dessert. I typically use the pie recipe off the back of the Libby's can of pumpkin. I never use pumpkin pie spice, I use the cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and ginger. Hmm, come to think of it I may wing it a bit when it comes to adding spices. I like it spicy!

This year my new son in law has requested pecan pie. He is a southern boy and I guess that's traditional where he comes from. I have never made pecan pie before and have never been crazy about it since it's so terribly sweet. I sent a call of help to some of my closest friends and my friend Lisa was glad to oblige. So today I'm making pumpkin pie and one of these:

Lisa's Pecan Pie

1 pie crust, either store-bought or homemade
2 c. pecans, browned in a dry skillet
5 eggs
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
Pinch salt
6 T. (3/4 stick) melted butter
1 T. vanilla

Start by patting the crust into a pie plate and baking it until it’s golden brown. I usually poke the crust with a fork all over to keep it from slumping down in the pie plate.
Coarsely chop half the toasted pecans.
Beat the five eggs vigorously. Blend in sugar, salt, and butter and put into a heavy saucepan. Over medium heat, heat this eggs/sugar/butter mixture until it’s very hot but not boiling. Remove from the heat and stir in the pecans and the vanilla.
Pour this hot mixture into the crust and bake at 375° for 30 or 40 minutes. The pie will be starting to set up and will still jiggle when it’s done.
Cool completely before serving.

If you want to make chocolate pecan pie, add 2 ounces of semisweet chocolate melted into 3 T. of butter to the egg and sugar mixture. Leave out any additional butter from the mixture.

No comments: