2017's Word of the Year

2017 word of the year- Enjoy- I will strive to relax and enjoy life more in 2017. My goal is not to get stressed about little details but to enjoy the things that God has given me, big and small.

Friday, November 13

Recipe: Scalloped Potatoes

The other night I was in the mood for scalloped potatoes. I looked at the recipe in my old trusty Better Homes and Garden cookbook and although it looked okay, I thought maybe I could improve on it. Here is what I did:

Peel and slice thinly 6-8 medium potatoes.

Melt 1/4 cup butter and add 1 finely diced onion. Cook until onions are soft. Add 1/3 cup of flour and let brown slightly. (you want to get the flour taste cooked out) Add 2 cups of milk, 1 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper, cook until it's slightly thickened. Add 1/2 of the potatoes to a 3 quart casserole and cover with 1/2 the milk mixture. Add the rest of the potatoes and the rest of the milk mixture. Cover and cook in the oven for 1 1/4 hours at 350 degrees, take the lid off and cook an additional 15 minutes.

It's really a very simple dish but oh so tasty. Give it a try!

No comments: